[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Nov 27 02:53:49 PST 2013

On 26 Nov 2013 at 9:08, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:08:50 -0800
From:           	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To:             	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e.
pre-UEFI)
	systems
Send reply to:  	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>

	<mailto:syslinux-request at zytor.com?subject=subscribe>

> On 11/26/2013 06:52 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes. I done the rebuild, but I can not test just now (enconding
> >> video!). I will post the result in ~10 hours ;)
> >
> > Yes! Fixed :)
> >
> > I tested at LBA 65536 (~128M) and 655360 (~1280M) and works fine in
> > both cases.
> >
> > The big mistery is why this works in some machines and why fails in
> > others. (maybe garbage in high word of "edx"?)
> >

> Awesome, *thank you* for testing!

I have two questions on this.
1. I generally use the released versions, but did make the change to the file
and ran the make to build the updated files. For some reason, my recompiled
version was about 5K smaller than the original one? Not sure why that would
be.

2. On a side note, I noticed that there are other mov statements in the
program that move values to the 32 bit registers. Would it be best to make
the same changes to those moves as well, or is this the only place that it is a
rare issue? How much of a difference is it in the code size from using the
regular move and the version with the zeroing.

>  -hpa

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA      9302045.204497   |   SETI        16817794.856452
ABC         16404788.791363   |   EINSTEIN    14361761.379852