[syslinux] Remove gpxe or replace with ipxe?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 15 14:58:51 PDT 2013

> The gPXE in the Syslinux tree is ridiculously old.  We could either
> replace it with iPXE or just drop it, giving people a recipe for how to
> integrate with iPXE themselves.
>
> What do people think?
>
> 	-hpa

Objectively, which pros and cons would be for each case?

Is there any "better compatibility" if it is included? Or, any "worse

interaction" (or any "worse whatever") if a user just uses the
respective original official binaries from each independent project?

Is there a case where a simple user would try to use respective
independent archives and it would be more difficult than the
alternative, when getting ipxe included in Syslinux archives?

Are there any situations where Syslinux developers would need / want
to hack ipxe differently from what the original project does?

TIA,
Ady.