[syslinux] syslinux lua support

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Oct 23 08:34:37 PDT 2013

James Buren <ryu0 at ymail.com> writes:

> First, I need access to the full PCI information. It doesn't expose
> the device class that is available in the C API. I have written a
> patch for this, but I don't know if it meets the code standards for
> this project.

Post them here, and hopefully somebody will tell.

> Second, I need to have a working stdin when in VESA mode. As it
> stands, io.read() fails when in VESA mode. It appears to be because of
> the dev_rawcon_r being the assigned input console. If I modify the
> source to use dev_stdcon_r, it works as it does outside of VESA
> mode. However, I need to have raw access to the stdin if I am to
> design a menu drawing system in lua using ANSI control sequences
> because I need input control over arrow keys and such.

I don't get how you'd use both modes together.  Anyway, I added a
simple binding to the get_key() function in a patch series posted here
last week (subject: Upgrade to Lua 5.2.2, add filesystem module and
get_key binding).  Start at https://gist.github.com/wferi/6989458 if
interested.  It works without changing the console mode.

> Third, I need to get access to the cell dimensions. I have already
> written a patch for this which exposes the cell dimensions through the
> VESA module. I only need this if I have to write the menu drawing
> myself. Lastly, I could instead use the menu library API I saw in the
> C API, but it's not available at all for use in the LUA module. I have
> not the experience to easily do this myself.

I thought about adding a Lua binding to libmenu.c32, but on one hand I'd
have no immediate use for that, and on the second I wanted to get some
feedback before committing too much work to the approach prototyped in
the mentioned patch series.  Sadly, I haven't got any reaction yet.
--
Cheers,
Feri.