[syslinux] installing only pxelinux?

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Tue Oct 29 14:54:17 PDT 2013

I've been using pxelinux since version 3 (way back when Fedora was new
and RedHat was still free :-) ) but looking at the more modern releases
I have a sinking feeling I've "just been doing it wrong" all these years.

E.g. back then I'd download the syslinux tarball, copy pxelinux.0,
menu.c32, and maybe memdisk to /tftpboot/ and that was pretty much it.
I don't recall ever needing to compile anything.

Now as I look at 6.02 (because I'm facing a need to deal with EFI) it
doesn't seem like it's that simple anymore, and at the very least I will
need additional modules (syslinux.efi for 32- and 64-bit?), and maybe
others.

The wiki (http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX) still says:

   "copy pxelinux.0 (from the SYSLINUX distribution) and any
    kernel or initrd images that you want to boot"

like I've been doing forever, but how do I know what else I need, and
whether I'm missing libs or something they require?

I was thinking of 'make install', but Makefile apparently compiles
everything, and if that's the preferred way I'll go that route; mostly
I'm looking for some guidance:  what's the "best" way to populate a
/tftpboot/ with the necessary PXELINUX files?

Cheers,
sr.