[syslinux] 5.10 regression (from 5.01) MENU INCLUDE broken.

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 23:24:21 PDT 2013

> > On 09/05/2013 01:55 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:

> > > What do the INCLUDEd config files look like?  Perhaps an overriding DEFAULT?
> > >

> > ESC does not bring me to the proper menu.
> >
> > Attached config files.
> >
> > if extlinux.conf have only one include 'sysrcd-2.4.1.conf' it does not
> > display the 'first' menu with 5.10 but goes into the sysrescd-2.4.1.conf
> > config. Or whatever is included as last.
> >
> > -- Piotr.
> >

> 1. Delete all unneeded:
>  ***
> label -
>   menu label
>   menu disable
>  ***
>  Optionally, replace them with an empty line.
>
> 2. Avoid duplicated LABEL (e.g. more than one "LABEL live"; change
> the label names so to make them unique, at least within each cfg file
> if not all across).
>
> 3. Correct "Ur	 vesamenu.c32".
>
> 4. By using multiple UI directives in INCLUDEd cfg files, together
> with several TIMEOUT and ONTIMEOUT directives (also in INCLUDEd cfg
> files), you are elevating the chances of "unexpected" behaviors.
> Using these directives in INCLUDEd files is indeed allowed, but you
> are more prone to some "rare" result. This might not be a real
> problem, but simplifying the cfg files might help debugging your
> situation.
>
> 5. Since you are repeatedly using UI directives in each INCLUDEd cfg,
> your MENU EXIT entries won't work, just as the ESC key doesn't return
> to the parent menu.
>
> I would suggest simplifying your cfg files by commenting out all
> non-essential lines / directives and re-testing. If it is still not
> working as expected, perhaps you could try the latest 5.xx-preNN
> testing pre-release.
>
> I'm not saying your original report about a possible regression is
> incorrect. I'm just suggesting that you could/should make a more
> "adequate" usage of Syslinux directives, so to confirm whether there
> is indeed a regression. Whichever the case, please report back.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ady.

OTOH, you could just change your initial INCLUDE, and use instead
CONFIG (only in the initial main cfg), leaving the rest as it was.

 ***

UI vesamenu.c32

MENU TITLE Multiboot USB
MENU BACKGROUND		#00000000
MENU COLOR sel          7;37;40 #e0ffffff #20ffffff all
MENU COLOR unsel        37;44   #50ffffff #a0000000 std
MENU COLOR tabmsg       31;40   #30ffffff #00000000 std

LABEL -
MENU LABEL System Rescue CD 2.4.1
CONFIG sysrcd-2.4.1.conf

LABEL -
MENU LABEL System Rescue CD 3.7.1
CONFIG sysrcd-3.7.1.conf

LABEL -
MENU LABEL BackBox Linux 2.05 32bit
CONFIG backbox-2.05-32bit.conf

 ***

Note that with this change, each "UI", "MENU DEFAULT", "ONTIMEOUT"
and other directives in each "sub" menu are independent from each
other (i.e., from the same directives in other cfg files), probably
solving your issue.

HTH,
Ady.