[syslinux] syslinux.exe, 6.01: --update misunderstanding

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 05:14:24 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 5:23 AM, Regid Ichira <regid23 at nt1.in> wrote:
> syslinux 6.01, on XP cmd prompt:
>
>   With
>     syslinux.exe --update c:
>     At least one specified option not yet implemented for this installer.
> it is clear which option is not yet implemented.  However, before
> trying just --update, I did try:
>     syslinux.exe --active --directory /downloadedPrograms/syslinux \
>                  --update --mbr c:
> (line was edited for presentation purposes) and got the same error
> message.
>
> 1) I think it should specifically written that the update is not yet
>    implemented.
> 2) Am I the only one who hardly understand the differece between
>    --update and --install?  For example, can I assume that with
>    --update, the directory will only change if I add a
>    --directory DIR?  Why suggest both an --update and --install?

--update will install if and only if it finds an existing
installation.  With that list of parameters, I'd guess that the plain
"syslinux.exe --update c:" won't find the install.

Also, there seems to be something quirky about how the DOS/Windows
installers behave in this respect and is likely a bug.

--
-Gene