[syslinux] pxechn.c32 halting

Chris Valentino chris.valentino at 1010data.com
Wed Sep 18 13:09:07 PDT 2013

I upgraded from syslinux 4.x to syslinux 6.01 and am now having issues with
 pxe chaining. I've tried moving up as far as 6.02-pre16, but I'm still experiencing the same problem. The original config called the next server as follows:

LABEL Cobbler
KERNEL pxechain.com
                APPEND 10.x.x.x::pxelinux.0

Which worked for the previous version, but I started getting an error after
 the upgrade:

                Booting kernel failed: Invalid argument

I did some initial research and found that I should be using pxechn.c32 instead with newer versions of syslinux. I've modified the pxe boot config file
 to this:

LABEL Cobbler
                COM32 pxechn.c32
                APPEND 10.x.x.x::pxelinux.0

But now it seems that the chain starts, downloads pxelinux.0, but then halts either before or while switching over to the new server:
pxechn.c32: Attempting to load '10.x.x.x::pxelinux.0': loaded.

. . . Ready to boot:
   Attempting to boot . . .
Booting . . .

PXELINUX 6.02 6.02-pre16   Copyright (C) 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al

And the screen just hangs there forever.

I hope this message is going to the right place. If not, could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Chris Valentino
Systems Infrastructure Engineer
1010data
chris.valentino at 1010data.com<mailto:chris.valentino at 1010data.com>
www.1010data.com<http://www.1010data.com/>
www.thefutureofdata.com<http://www.thefutureofdata.com/>

The content of this e-mail message and any attached files transmitted with it are to be treated as confidential information and are intended solely for
 the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any reproduction, distribution, or disclosure of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.***1010data, Inc. and its affiliates ("1010data") are not responsible for any advice concerning the use of its software or services or
 the data manipulated by its software, except to the extent 1010data has specifically undertaken such responsibility in a validly binding contract. 1010data shall have no responsibility for any decision concerning the appropriate method of use or application of its software or services or the data therein in connection with any transaction. Any decision concerning how, where and when to use this facility remains the sole responsibility of the user.