[syslinux] One DHCP/PXE config for BIOS, EFI32, and EFI64 clients?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 11:34:51 PDT 2013

> There might be an alternative (and possibly others too): let the user
> select the appropriate firmware from within pxelinux.cfg/default.
>
> So, keep using the same method you used in previous versions, instead
> of selecting the Syslinux cfg / firmware from the DHCP snippet that
> Daniel posted.
>
> If you actually get to pxelinux.cfg/default (as you probably used to
> when you were not selecting a specific machine), _then_ you choose
> the firmware.

While re-reading my own email, I realized that I wasn't clear enough.
>From the DHCP, you would still need to "select" the specific
bootloader according to the firmware. What I meant was, not to select
a firmware-specific cfg file ( pxelinux.cfg/bios ; pxelinux.cfg/efi32
; pxelinux.cfg/efi64 ) from the DHCP, but to leave it as "usual"
(defaulting to pxelinux.cfg/default), as you probably used to.

So, when I said "_then_ you choose the firmware", what I actually
meant is "_then_ you select the respective cfg file". The
/pxelinux.cfg/default and the rest of the cfg files I suggested are
still relevant.

I hope I expressed myself more clearly this time.

Regards,
Ady.