[syslinux] One DHCP/PXE config for BIOS, EFI32, and EFI64 clients?

Steven Shiau steven at nchc.org.tw
Thu Sep 19 20:33:14 PDT 2013

On 09/20/2013 02:34 AM, Ady wrote:
>> There might be an alternative (and possibly others too): let the user
>> select the appropriate firmware from within pxelinux.cfg/default.
>>
>> So, keep using the same method you used in previous versions, instead
>> of selecting the Syslinux cfg / firmware from the DHCP snippet that
>> Daniel posted.
>>
>> If you actually get to pxelinux.cfg/default (as you probably used to
>> when you were not selecting a specific machine), _then_ you choose
>> the firmware.
>>

> While re-reading my own email, I realized that I wasn't clear enough.
> >From the DHCP, you would still need to "select" the specific
> bootloader according to the firmware. What I meant was, not to select
> a firmware-specific cfg file ( pxelinux.cfg/bios ; pxelinux.cfg/efi32
> ; pxelinux.cfg/efi64 ) from the DHCP, but to leave it as "usual"
> (defaulting to pxelinux.cfg/default), as you probably used to.
>
> So, when I said "_then_ you choose the firmware", what I actually
> meant is "_then_ you select the respective cfg file". The
> /pxelinux.cfg/default and the rest of the cfg files I suggested are
> still relevant.
>
> I hope I expressed myself more clearly this time.
>
> Regards,
> Ady.
Ady,
Thanks. Did you mean to choose the firmware in the client? If so, my
plan is to automatically boot the client machines. This is a must since
our goal is for massive deployment. Therefore everything must be
unattended in the client side.
Or maybe I missed something?

Regards,
Steven.

Steven Shiau <steven _at_ nchc org tw> <steven _at_ stevenshiau org>
National Center for High-performance Computing, Taiwan. http://www.nchc.org.tw
Public Key Server PGP Key ID: 4096R/47CF935C
Fingerprint: 0240 1FEB 695D 7112 62F0  8796 11C1 12DA 47CF 935C