[syslinux] Booting legacy Linux kernel in EFI mode

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 12:09:30 PDT 2013

Hello,

My question is quite straightforward, still I couldn't find an anwser
on the interweb.
Is it possible to boot the Linux kernels I used to boot in legacy
mode, but now in EFI mode?

I mean, I would like to keep all my PXE settings with my menus and
kernels and stuff, but now boot them in PXE-EFI mode.

I've been able to boot on syslinux.efi and keep my config files, but
when I try to boot on a linux kernel, I get an error like "no such
file or directory" while I see it download the file from the tftp.

Is this a bug in syslinux?
Or is there a deep incompatibility?
And (a bit out of scope) if I get my old kernel to boot in EFI mode,
will the driver efivars have access to the EFI variables? Or does the
kernel need to be recompiled specially for EFI?

Regards,

Celelibi