[syslinux] Focus on version 6 and beyond

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Sep 27 02:05:14 PDT 2013

Actually In-Reply-To: <CAD0Rxe=5U2ZcPZEznrutSj8HaaN6zFdunu8jpoD4f0dFXEwpPQ op mail.gmail.com>

Op 2013-09-26 om 18:36 schreef Gene Cumm:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa op zytor.com> wrote:
> > Steven Shiau <steven op nchc.org.tw> wrote:
> >>Oh, I should not use that strong words... Actually what I meant is the
> >>implementation of EFI support so the file directories in the release
> >>tarball are different.
> >
> > That doesn't seem like a good reason to keep the old code base
> > alive... we need to reduce our support load.
>
> The sole reason I targetted 5.1x was to minimize how much was changed
> at once while debugging.  Now that It seems a solution has been found,
> it's time for testing by others that have been affected then merge up
> to 6.

To make testing on Syslinux version 6 more easy, it is
at https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

For those who prefer a copy from source code managementsystem "git"

  git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git mySyslinuxClone
  git checkout firmware

That additional `git checkout firmware` to get the "efi branch a.k.a Version 6"
is _not_ documented at http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Development

And I think it shouldn't documented, there should be some branching and merging
in the syslinux top git repository. Creating a 4.xx branch from current master
and merging branch "firmware" in master is what I would do if I could.

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven