[syslinux] questions about pxelinux.

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 02:39:52 PDT 2014

On Apr 9, 2014 5:38 AM, "Gene Cumm" <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2014 5:19 AM, "牟流" <muliu92 at 163.com> wrote:
> >
> > I google that pxelinux is a NBP, and i have there questions after
glancing the source code, exactly  pxelinux.asm.

> > 1     should NBP specify target processor mode to 16? but also found
'BITS 32'in the pxelinux.asm.

> It is in the correct format.  Non-EFI boots start in real mode.
>
> > 2     should pxelinux.asm assemble into a raw binary file? but found
'$(NASM) -f elf' in MAKEFILE under ./core/ dir.

> It is in the right format especially when you look at the final product.
>
> > 3     can be used to boot window OS?
>
> Depends.  What Windows version across what media?  chain.c32 can boot a
local hard drive.  MEMDISK can boot some ISOs, specifically most PE and
PE-like systems.  iPXE's wimboot is probably the best choice for network
booting if you have an appropriate file.

> --Gene

Also sdi.c32 if you have the right file.

--Gene