[syslinux] syslinux fails to make a bootable USB stick in Slackware64-14.1 installer

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Fri Apr 18 02:20:41 PDT 2014

On 17/04/2014 01:18, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 04/16/2014 04:07 PM, Didier Spaier wrote:
>>
>> Confirmed, thanks Hans.
>>

> Don't call me that, please.

OK, sorry.

>> So I assume that we need to ship iconv in the initrd.
>>

> Or ship the "linux" version instead of the "mtools" version of syslinux,
> or use the extlinux installer and mount explicitly.

Thanks for the clues.

I was wrong, iconv is not needed, but adding gconv/IBM850.so fixes the issue, as that is the default code page for mtools.

Using syslinux-nomtools instead of syslinux works as well, but I had to add the --install option to avoid this error message:
   syslinux: no previous syslinux boot sector found
Maybe someone could add in the documentation that in this version the default value is "--update", if this is confirmed?

Thanks,

Didier