[syslinux] Bootloader data in /boot vs package systems (and atomic updates)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Apr 23 14:57:41 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW and just as one example, ArchLinux has its own script

Looks like the canonical source is here:
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/syslinux-install_update?h=packages/syslinux

Right.  Hmm.  The painful thing will be transitioning the existing
package, as it would obviously break everything if the updated RPM just
removed the extant files from /boot.

I'm debating a bit whether or not this is worthwhile to do, or if I
should just focus more on GRUB, or if I should patch Anaconda+OSTree to
work around it.  Maybe both of the latter two.

Anyways, definitely a useful data point that Arch keeps the data in
/usr and copies it to /boot via a wrapper.