[syslinux] Bootloader data in /boot vs package systems (and atomic updates)

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Thu Apr 24 04:47:01 PDT 2014

Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 24, 2014 3:19 AM, "Ferenc Wagner" <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:
>>
>> Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> writes:
>>
>>> However, syslinux relies on loadable modules in /boot.  At present in
>>> Fedora at least, the RPM package updates these, and it has a %post to
>>> ensure that when a newer version of extlinux is installed, we update
>>> both the boot modules and the MBR.
>>
>> I don't think vanilla extlinux (or generally, Syslinux) has anything to
>> do with this.
>
> syslinux.spec.in here:
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/tree/syslinux.spec.in

Ah, a file I've never cared about.  I wonder if it's still usable with
the firmware branch merged.  Now I can see that even the (undocumented)
'make install' command copies modules into /boot/extlinux.  Is this the
spec file used by Fedora?  I don't know their ways, but using any of
these does not sound like a good idea from the system administrator's
point of view.  I'd rather avoid fiddling with the boot loader at
package install time.
Feri.