[syslinux] Issues with syslinux_run_command(str) and parameters

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:14:39 PDT 2014

> More context to this: syslinux_run_command calls into load_kernel(), and somewhere behind load_kernel things break. This is also broken at the boot: console prompt. Any commands executed at the boot: prompt also lose all parameters.
>
> > With the latest 6.03pre I'm seeing an issue where no parameters are passed to the image executed via syslinux_run_command().
> > An example of this is whichsys.c32, which uses this. E.g., using an example from the wiki page - whichsys.c32 -iso- chain.c32 hd0 -sys- chain.c32 hd1 swap - results in a loop back to the isolinux menu as chain.c32 receives no parameters. Similarly, using -iso- memdisk initrd=/myimage.ima displays a memdisk error saying no No ramdisk image specified!
> > As an awkward test to confirm the problem lies somewhere behind syslinux_run_command, I replaced whichsys.c's call to syslinux_run_command(str) with create_args_and_load(str). In this situation, the whichsys chain.c32 example works without issue. (Of course, create_args_and_load only supports com32 modules, so much of whichsys's load functionality is lost. Not a good solution :).
> >
> > Any ideas why parameters are being lost with syslinux_run_command?
> > --Ian

Testing 6.03-pre11 official pre-built binaries (from kernel.org), in
a BIOS-based VirtualBox 4.2.x VM, booting with either SYSLINUX or
ISOLINUX, I don't see a problem.

I have not tested PXE nor EFI scenarios.

Have you tried using 6.03-pre11 (the latest ATM)? Are you using the
official pre-built binaries from kernel.org?

Perhaps you might want to post the exact content of your cfg file.

Regards,
Ady.