[syslinux] Fn textfile background

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:34:17 PDT 2014

> parameter,

> > > Well, it obviously requires vesamenu.c32 since it is graphical.
> > >
> > >       -hpa
> > Or, is the second parameter syntax itself not available for menu.c32
> > (and/or in CLI) whichever the format of the background?
> In  text/character mode, your screen is normally 80 columns by 25
> rows of 8-bit characters with up to 223 visible values but often only
> 95 usable.  You often get 4 bits foreground and 4 bits background
> color.
> In other words, it's not available in text mode regardless of which
> module (yes, vesamenu.c32 has a fallback of text mode).
> --Gene

Apologies for my ignorance. Are you saying that no matter the
graphical features of the background file, there is no way to display
such a background using Fn files in CLI or in menu.c32 (or even with
vesamenu.c32 in text mode)?

My intention was to replace my current "ASCII 24" method used inside
the Fn files with the second parameter in the Fn statement. If I
can't, I'll just keep using what I have.

Since the "ASCII 24" method works in CLI (at least in older
versions), the problem doesn't seem to be some limitation of the text
mode to display the graphics, but in the possibility to load the same
background file by means of the aforementioned second optional
parameter, either in CLI or with menu.c32.

Am I misunderstanding something?

TIA,
Ady.