[syslinux] [Q]: Syslinux and Windows 7 NTFS...

cwbshaw . cwbshaw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 05:11:04 PDT 2014

Hi....

>From within Windows 7 NTFS I would like if possible to be able to do either
of the following:

* Force Windows 7 to reboot into a PXE boot from a TFTP server using a
specific PXE/TFTP config file

OR

* Force Windows 7 to reboot and load a linux kernel from the NTFS
partition. This kernel would then use an NFS root filesystem.

All of my testing is being done on a Windows 7 NTFS virtual machine ins
ESXi 5.5 and I am using syslinux 6.02. I have tried the following on my
Win7 NTFS C: drive:

* mkdir c:\syslinux
* run 'syslinux.exe --force --mbr --active --directory /syslinux/ --install
C:' This works and I can see 2 hidden files ldlinux.sys and ldlinux.c32 in
c:\syslinux
* I have created numerous syslinux.cfg files in c:\syslinux but they never
work. All I get is a banner message 'SYSLINUX 6.02 etc. etc. H. Peter Anvin
et al' and then nothing - it just sits there.

In one example of option 2 (load a linux kernel from NTFS partition) I save
a copy of my kernel bzImage in c:\syslinux and in the same directory I
create the following syslinux.cfg:

DEFAULT Linux
LABEL Linux
   KERNEL bzImage
   APPEND append root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=10.10.0.35:/export/PC,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,actimeo=9999
ip=dhcp nofb nomodeset vga=0x317

We have an entry just like this on our DHCP/PXE/TFTP server which works
fine. In any case even if there are errors in the above syslinux.cfg file
(which I admit is very possible) I would at least expect to see it attempt
to load syslinux.cfg, bzImage etc. or if it can't find them report an error
to say so.

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanx in advance.

Chris Bradshaw.