[syslinux] (no subject)

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Aug 27 15:50:43 PDT 2014

Bill Cunningham schreef op 28-8-2014 om 00:05:
>     I have just jined this list. I can't seem to boot from a USB and my
> BIOS
> recognizes my sandisk USB by name. I can't figure out what modules to use.
> mbr.bin and parted is one method. Then syslinux is run and a
> syslinux.cfg is
> needed. Is this sufficent for syslinux?
>
> LINUX bzImage //kernel image
> INITRD initrd // initial ramdisk to boot a small liinux system on a USB.
>
> Bill
> Thanks for any help.

There's a wiki for the Syslinux project, but other methods might be easier:

* if you're on Windows, use the RUFUS tool by Akeo
* if you're on Linux, tools might be present already.

The most interesting way however is to download some random Linux ISO
like Ubuntu or Knoppix and see how they apply Syslinux/Isolinux. Often
the downloadable image files also support being transferred to an USB
flash drive. Note the directory structure and configuration files contents.

Bernd