[syslinux] PXE booting WinPE with UEFI architecture

Spike White spikewhitetx at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 17:01:06 PDT 2014

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:02:10 +0100
> From: Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org>
> To: Jason Jones <jason.s.jones at convergys.com>, "syslinux at zytor.com"
>         <syslinux at zytor.com>
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] PXE booting WinPE with UEFI architecture
>
> On 28/08/14 19:38, Jason Jones wrote:
> > Anyone have luck with pxechn32 and bootmgfw.efi?
> >
> > I'm getting the "Unable to retrieve first package" issue as reported by
others.

> > Really, any advice for UEFI booting into a winpe environment off of
pxelinux 6.03 would be beneficial.

> As it happens, I released a new version of wimboot with support for UEFI
> yesterday.  The documentation isn't up yet, but you can get the code
> from http://git.ipxe.org/release/wimboot and see the (not-yet-UEFIfied)
> docs at http://ipxe.org/wimboot.
>
> Michael

Wow, that totally confuses me!

I am fat & happy UEFI-booting Fedora 20, RHEL7 et al on syslinux 6.03-pre19.

I'm using syslinux/efi64/efi/syslinux.efi as the bootloader.  Here's an
example stanza in my pxelinux.cfg/default file:

   LABEL Fedora 20 interactive
      MENU LABEL ^fedora 20
      MENU INDENT 3
      KERNEL boot/fedora/vmlinuz
      APPEND initrd=/boot/fedora/initrd.img ramdisk_size=10000

But chain-loading into WinPE would be useful too.

In order to use "wimboot", I have to use ./efi64/com32/modules/pxechn.c32
to chain-load into ipxe?  As so:

   LABEL WinPE
      MENU LABEL WinPE
      MENU INDENT 3
      COM32 pxechn.c32
      APPEND http://192.168.1.100/undionly.kpxe

And then in the same location, I put this boot.ipxe file and all support
files:

  #!ipxe
  kernel wimboot
  initrd bootmgr          bootmgr