[syslinux] syslinux 6.03 does not boot some kernels

Johann Hartwig Hauschild hardy+syslinux at foxxnet.de
Tue Dec 2 06:30:27 PST 2014

Hi

I've got a bit of a problem with syslinux 6.03.

I am trying to deliver the debian stable netinstall to a vmware 5.1/5.5
(tested both) vm using syslinux.efi in 64 bit.

my pxelinux.cfg/default for everything I tried looks like this:

--8<---
prompt 1
default local
label install
        LINUX http://my-server-ip/pxe/wheezy/test/$kernel

label local
        menu label Boot from local drive
-->8--

The kernels I use can be found (together with the config) at
http://www.alle-irre.de/~hardy/syslinux/

If I try to boot the 3.2-kernel the vm loads the kernel, then reboots.
If I try with the 3.16-kernel the vm loads the kernel, boots the kernel and
everything works (apart from the missing initrd).
I can rule out that its the http-part, I just tried delivery of the kernel
via tftp and the result is the same.

If I use 6.01 both kernels work.
I tried reproducing in 6.02 but I can't get 6.02 to work, it locks up after
requesting ldlinux.e64 from the tftp-server. (I thought I had tried in 6.02
before, but I have no idea why it should have worked then and not now)

If I can provide any more details (I will hopefully be able to test against
real hardware some time this week) please tell me what you need.

	Hardy