[syslinux] vesamenu back to text before booting

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 06:42:14 PST 2014

> > On Thu, 4 Dec 2014, Ady wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps there should be a new MENU-type directive, so to force the
> > > screen to text mode (as opposed to leaving it in graphics mode for as
> > > long as it can be)? Perhaps this could also be useful when exiting a
> > > vesamenu to Syslinux CLI?
> >
> > Yes, please. To make this dependent *only* on the configuration of
> > the menu entry started is, IMHO, the only way to go.
> >

> If you want a per-label behavior, you could try adding a new menu
> entry:
>
> LABEL change2menu
> COM32 menu.c32
>
> And replace your 'UI vesamenu.c32' with 'DEFAULT vesamenu.c32' (instead
> of your prior 'DEFAULT lunatics', and the LABEL lunatics should be
> placed as the first menu entry in your configuration file).
>
> With these changes, your default behavior is vesamenu, with the option
> to reload the same menu but using menu.c32.
>
> It is possible that these changes would allow you to launch the kernel
> as you wanted, without waiting for further developments.
>
> Regards,
> Ady.

I'd like to clarify that my prior suggestion will still not give you a
per-label behavior; it just lets you choose a simple menu system
without the background graphics mode. It allows you to boot normally
from vesamenu, and only use the normal menu when/if really desired.

For a real per-label behavior, you can add new entries in your main
configuration file:

LABEL config1
CONFIG cfg1.cfg

and then in the new cfg1.cfg file:

PROMPT 0
DEFAULT mylabel
LABEL mylabel
KERNEL mykernel
APPEND myoptions

The result is that from your (vesa)menu you are going to the new
cfg1.cfg, which is not using any menu but only a one-and-only entry.
This entry is launched immediately and automatically from CLI.

If launching the kernel from CLI (instead of doing it from
vesamenu.c32) shows you the result you want, then this is a valid
workaround IMHO.

As Gene mentioned, instead of the KERNEL directive you could use
something else.

Regards,
Ady.