[syslinux] vesamenu back to text before booting

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Fri Dec 5 02:50:40 PST 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014, Ady wrote:

> > > If so: http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Mboot.c32
> >
> > I´m not permitted to edit either that page or its talk page.
> > Do I submit the content addition here, then?
>
> Please do.

Okay, MediaWiki syntax docs follow. Note I have tested those
only a bit, and not within the vesamenu context, but if mboot.c32
resets to text mode, all will be fine.

=== MirBSD ===

The MirBSD [https://www.mirbsd.org/mani386/boot.8 second-stage
bootloader] acts as faux MultiBoot “OS kernel”. It can either
load the boot.cfg file and the kernel from disc, or have them
passed as faux MultiBoot “OS modules”.

In SYSLINUX scenarios, the bootloader is commonly renamed as
“ldbsd.com”, although upstream places it under “/boot” normally.

==== just the bootloader ====

<pre>
LABEL mirbsd
  KERNEL mboot.c32
  APPEND /ldbsd.com
</pre>

==== bootloader, config, and kernel ====

<pre>
LABEL mirbsd
  KERNEL mboot.c32
  APPEND /ldbsd.com --- /boot.cfg --- /bsd
</pre>

==== example with differently named kernel ====

(editorial note: bsd4grml actually uses a boot.cfg file, too)

<pre>
LABEL bsd4grml
  KERNEL /boot/isolinux/mboot.c32
  APPEND /boot/addons/bsd4grml/ldbsd.com set image bsd4me.rd`set timeout 5 --- /boot/addons/bsd4grml/bsd.rd
</pre>

> Alternatively (or, even better), you could send a link to
> original documentation about your boot loader.

*ahem* does CVSweb to the sources count? ;-) Well, I’ve gone
back to the above and put a link to its manpage, although that
will be way too high-level and user-oriented for this…

> About additional possibilities, there are 2 KERNEL-like directives for
> boot sectors files (IIRC, valid for SYSLINUX only, but I could be

OK, that would work too, but these files would need to be
produced first. (Not working within PXE, and tricky within
ISO, and even more so within EXT.) Probably easier to write
a .c32 that loads the second-stage loader to the right address
and jumps there the same way the native bootsector does.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH