[syslinux] syslinux 6.03 does not boot some kernels

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 06:51:00 PST 2014

> Am 02.12.2014 schrieb Ady:
> >
> ( ... )
> >
> > Since we are in the Syslinux Mailing List, please let me rephrase the
> > most relevant part of this case: syslinux.efi 6.03 is incapable of
> > booting some kernel, whereas syslinux.efi 6.01 can successfully boot it
> > under the same conditions.
> >
> I can now confirm that this can be replicated on hardware, a
> ThinkCentre M93 will reboot when pushed the 3.2-kernel with syslinux 6.03.
>

> --
> Regards,
> 	Hardy

I really wish one of the (past or present) Syslinux developers would

Last month, a stable standard Slackware kernel could not be booted by
syslinux.efi. It had to be customized with "CONFIG_RELOCATABLE".

Now a standard Debian Wheezy stable kernel 3.2 is being reported as not
bootable with Syslinux 6.03, but successfully bootable with Syslinux
6.01.

IMHO, this should be considered a Syslinux regression.

It sounds as if syslinux.efi 6.03 is only capable of booting a Linux
kernel 3.3+ with an adequate config with EFISTUB. Considering that some
relevant changes were introduced to the Linux kernel in its 3.3 branch,
are these reported behaviors mean that prior kernels (such as the
current stable Debian Wheezy with kernel 3.2) are not bootable in UEFI
mode by Syslinux 6.03?

Is Syslinux adding more conditions than really necessary so to boot
Linux kernels in UEFI mode?

If I understand correctly, a Linux kernel 3.2 might not be able to
follow newer conventions, considering that such conventions /
conditions were implemented / refined with kernel 3.3, not before.

Following adequate standards, rules and common conventions is fine, but
there should be some flexibility (or "fallback") for other cases, such
as for kernel 3.2 (which is going to be alive in Debian Wheezy for at
least a couple more years).

So, can someone please clarify this situation?

TIA,
Ady.