[syslinux] Using of pxelinux configfiles for both BIOS and UEFI boot

Leenders, Peter Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com
Sun Dec 7 23:31:09 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm using a windows PXE server and I try to upgrade a existing PXELINUX menu structure with actually with BIOS/Legacy mode to work in UEFI mode too.

Since I have to use ZENworks tftp on the windows server I have only one TFTP-root directory not 2 different tftp-root directories like on a standard windows deployment server. ZENworks itself uses for Legacy mode a patched PXELINUX and for UEFI a patched grub boot manager to get both running.

- Is there a standard approach to use different vesamenu.c32 (and other architecture depending ) files in the pxelinux.cfg/default file depending on the boot architecture - especially for BIOS/Legacy and EFI64?
- Is it e.g. possible to set and use variables depending on the boot architecture in the default menu  pxelinux.cfg/default to address different vesamenu.c32 files?

I sniffed network traffic, googled and looked at the SYSLINUX wiki, but always get stuck with the problem that I can't address two different vesamenu.c32 (or menu.c32) modules depending on BIOS or UEFI boot.
Maybe I'm just missing just a little detail.

I'm using SYSLINUX 6.03 for the existing PXE menu structure with a  large number of PXELINUX configuration files (>170), so building a second structure in grub syntax isn't a way I would like to follow up further.

Using the tftp from the windows deployment could be an option, but would provoke other incompatibility of services of the MDT server and the ZENworks infrastructure services.

Yours sincerely

Peter Leenders