[syslinux] Using of pxelinux configfiles for both BIOS and UEFI boot

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 08:46:25 PST 2014

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Leenders, Peter
> <Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com> wrote:
>
> > This look promising, if I could separate the config files for the different
> > boot architectures Bios and UEFI. I have 2 different boot files in 2
> > different locations, but after startup they both  refer to the
> > tftproot/pxlinux.cfg/default config file. The DHCP Option 209 may solve this
> > if the ZENworks tftp server support this option with different values
> > depending on the architecture. Unfortuanelly til now I didn´t found out if
> > there is a support for this option.
>
> No need. Again, you have choices.
>
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Hardcoded_options
>
> --
> -Gene

I could be wrong about this, but... I think that it could still be
possible to get multiple architectures / firmwares mixed together while
using c32 modules, without dhcp options, and perhaps even without
applying pxelinux-options.

If I understood correctly, this tftp server can choose between 2 boot
files, depending on BIOS/UEFI client, and the problem is choosing a
different config file.

According to prior pcap reports, syslinux.efi searches for syslinux.cfg
(too), while (l)pxelinux.0 will be searching for "default". This means
that using something *similar* to:

 pxelinux.cfg/default:
  PATH bios
  CONFIG common-config.cfg ::bios
  # the bios modules should be located in the bios subdir

and
 pxelinux.cfg/syslinux.cfg
  PATH efi64
  CONFIG common-config.cfg ::efi64
  # the efi64 modules should be located in the efi64 subdir

could / perhaps / might / work. It would also depend on how the path
notation is expressed in "common-config.cfg", considering that the
CONFIG directive is changing the working directory.

This might very well fail too, but perhaps this idea triggers some
additional feedback from someone else.

Regards,
Ady.