[syslinux] Using of pxelinux configfiles for both BIOS and UEFI boot

Leenders, Peter Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com
Fri Dec 12 07:29:36 PST 2014

>I could be wrong about this, but... I think that it could still be possible to get multiple architectures / firmwares mixed together >while using c32 modules, without dhcp options, and perhaps even without applying pxelinux-options.

>If I understood correctly, this tftp server can choose between 2 boot files, depending on BIOS/UEFI client, and the problem is >choosing a different config file.

>According to prior pcap reports, syslinux.efi searches for syslinux.cfg (too), while (l)pxelinux.0 will be searching for "default". >This means that using something *similar* to:

> pxelinux.cfg/default:

>  PATH bios

>  CONFIG common-config.cfg ::bios

>  # the bios modules should be located in the bios subdir

>and

> pxelinux.cfg/syslinux.cfg

>  PATH efi64

>  CONFIG common-config.cfg ::efi64

>  # the efi64 modules should be located in the efi64 subdir

>could / perhaps / might / work. It would also depend on how the path notation is expressed in "common-config.cfg", considering that >the CONFIG directive is changing the working directory.

>This might very well fail too, but perhaps this idea triggers some additional feedback from someone else.

>Regards,

>Ady.

Hello Ady,

thank you for your responce. I will check out this (hopefully) on Monday and give a short feedback to the list.

I didn't notice this difference in the search order - but it can be. As far as I can see in my wireshark snapshots on the efi boot where is no search for a syslinux.cfg, but maybe on the bios boot, but I haven't one snapshot of this within reach.

Peter

[cid:image001.png at 01D01628.D16F0040]