[syslinux] PXE boot error

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 07:38:06 PST 2014

> Hi,
>
> We have some problems while network booting thin clients. The type is T5540.
>
> At this moment we are using pxe linux 6.03.
>
> The systems are booting correctly with pxe linux version 6.03-pre14.
> We have seen the same error with version 6.03-pre9.
>
> The error message:
>
> Failed to load ldlinux.c32
> Boot failed: press a key to retry, or wait for reset...
>
> Any idea?
>
> Willem

_ When you update the version of pxelinux.0, are you also updating the
version of ldlinux.c32?

_ The version of all the c32 files in use shall match the version of
the boot loader.

_ When you mention the error message, "Failed to load...", is always
the same file being mentioned? Or are you seeing instead other files
mentioned in the message in same cases?

_ Have you tested with the official upstream pre-compiled binaries from
version 6.03 final downloaded from kernel.org (as oppose to using your
own compiled binaries, or some package from some distro)?

_ Are the same binaries working correctly in some other hardware while
failing in specific models only?

There are additional potential issues / questions, but let's start with
those basic ones.

Regards,
Ady.