[syslinux] PXE boot error

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:04:12 PST 2014

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text,
especially the archives of mailing lists.
Q: Why is Top-posting such a bad thing?

> >> We have some problems while network booting thin clients. The type is T5540.
> >>
> >> At this moment we are using pxe linux 6.03.
> >>
> >> The systems are booting correctly with pxe linux version 6.03-pre14.
> >> We have seen the same error with version 6.03-pre9.
> >>
> >> The error message:
> >>
> >> Failed to load ldlinux.c32
> >> Boot failed: press a key to retry, or wait for reset...
> >>

> > _ When you update the version of pxelinux.0, are you also updating the
> > version of ldlinux.c32?
> Yes, I've updated both files.
> >
> > _ The version of all the c32 files in use shall match the version of
> > the boot loader.
> Yes, I've copied all the files which we are using. The version of all
> the files is the same.
> >
> > _ When you mention the error message, "Failed to load...", is always
> > the same file being mentioned? Or are you seeing instead other files
> > mentioned in the message in same cases?
> It's always the same file in the error message.
> >
> > _ Have you tested with the official upstream pre-compiled binaries from
> > version 6.03 final downloaded from kernel.org (as oppose to using your
> > own compiled binaries, or some package from some distro)?
> Yes, I've used the official binaries. Not some own compiled binaries.
> >
> > _ Are the same binaries working correctly in some other hardware while
> > failing in specific models only?
> At this moment we have issues with one specific hardware model. It's a
> HP T5540 Thin client. We have many other hardware that is working
> great with this version.
>
> Version 6.03-pre9 > not working
> Version 6.03-pre14 > working
> Version 6.03 final > not working
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards, Willem

Since this seems to be a hardware-specific issue...

Have you checked whether there is some BIOS update available? Please
note that HP sometimes releases BIOS updates with "revisions" while
maintaining the same main version number; e.g. version 2.02 Rev.B might
be an update for version 2.02 Rev.A.

Are you using DHCP options 209 and/or 210? One of them? Both?

It might be useful to get a packet capture log. For example, connecting
some other model (that is already known to be working) in the same
location, saving a pcap log and repeating the tests with the
problematic model.

Are you able to repeat the same (failing) behavior with other units of
the same model? In the same location? In other locations?

Are you able to use a USB flash drive to boot the thin client with
SYSLINUX 6.03? It could be interesting to know whether the problem
presents itself with pxelinux.0 6.03 only, or also with SYSLINUX 6.03
booting from a storage device, considering that both boot loaders
require the same ldlinux.c32 file (in the same path location relative
to the respective boot loader).

Thank you,
Ady.