[syslinux] check-gnu-efi.sh: print the output of build-gnu-efi.sh

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:29:48 PST 2014

> Syslinux depended on too many bleeding edge commits of gnu-efi to
> make it viable.

That _seems_ to be no longer accurate. The official 6.03 release
(2014Oct06) was built based on the gnu-efi commit:
 ab54e2b40e914d0ca01dc3d44c8d4eb8517bf999 from 2014Feb13.
At the time Syslinux 6.03 was released, the build was no longer using a
"bleeding edge" commit of gnu-efi (it was several months old and dozens
of commits old). By the time I am writing this email, the Syslinux
source code is still pointing to the same "old" commit and there are
more than 50 newer ones in gnu-efi.

Although at some point there were reports (maybe it was just one, or
two) that building with a specific newer commit of gnu-efi would fail,
I believe that there should be a new attempt to build Syslinux with a
newer gnu-efi commit / version, as to at least try to reduce the
reported problems about syslinux.efi failing in certain VM environments
(OVMF, KVM, whatever). I'm not saying it has to be now, but it might be
worth testing this matter before the next pre-release (whenever it
might occur).

In particular, the *gnu-efi.sh scripts in Syslinux should be tested
with the new gnu-efi git tree (changed, 2014Nov25).

> It also levels the field such that everyone has the same version.

Using a consistent version / commit of gnu-efi makes sense. Otherwise,
the resulting behavior could be changing (or the build might fail for
some reason), according to whichever version / commit is "freely" used.
As I said above, it might be worth pointing the gnu-efi submodule to a
newer "consistent" commit (or version) and resolve any potential issues
with it before the next Syslinux pre-release.

Regards,
Ady.