[syslinux] check-gnu-efi.sh: print the output of build-gnu-efi.sh

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:47:54 PST 2014

> I really think we should not take chances;
> Syslinux source should include (probably as an optional download tarball)
> the gnu-efi used to build the particular Syslinux version.

> apt-get is awesome but after running
> LANG=C apt-get source syslinux
> on my Ubuntu 14.04 I just got Syslinux 4.05

> The sources of a package like syslinux should not depend on
> uncontrolled repositories, specially when part of the included code
> is particularly sensitive to versioning.

> I really do not care having duplicated gnu-efi on my system if I
> know that one of them is the one that really works with Syslinux
> 6.03 Today getting Syslinux 6.03 compiled for the first time is
> becoming a real PITA.

> Pat

You asked what else is needed.

Patches are welcome.

Debian already does what it needs:

http://sources.debian.net/src/syslinux/3:6.03%2Bdfsg-4/debian/patches/00
04-gnu-efi-git.patch/

As an additional example, Mageia solves it for its development
environment:

http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/syslinux/current/SOURCES/sysl
inux-nogit.patch?view=markup&pathrev=600959

If you are using Ubuntu 14.04 and you want to use Syslinux 6.03, then
either:

_ use the Debian relevant packages related to Syslinux 6.03; or,
_ use the built-in binaries already included in the official upstream
distribution archives from kernel.org.

Official upstream Syslinux will still be built with a specific commit
of
gnu-efi and using git.

Regards,
Ady.