[syslinux] check-gnu-efi.sh: print the output of build-gnu-efi.sh

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 13:30:02 PST 2014

Hi

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Using a consistent version / commit of gnu-efi makes sense. Otherwise,
> the resulting behavior could be changing (or the build might fail for
> some reason), according to whichever version / commit is "freely" used.

As an active package maintainer I strongly believe in idea that
software should use system packages as much as possible. The reasons
are:
 - embedding libraries makes project bloating and the build system
more complicated.
 - package maintainers tend to provide higher quality support for
packages than alone developers. System libraries get bug/security
fixes, version updates faster than libraries embedded into projects.
And embedded libraries are usually left at some obsolete version just
because developer have no time to update it.
 - compiling a project with already-built system libraries is faster
than compile embedded libraries each time.

I am not an syslinux/efi expert but for me it looks like syslinux can
be perfectly fine using system gnu-efi library. For example in Linux
Arch both refind and gummiboot use the system library and never had
problems with it.