[syslinux] pxechn.c32 for EFI

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 11:55:40 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Luke Ledgerd <luke.ledgerd at niteco.se> wrote:

> Does the EFI version of PXELinux support http like gpxe, that would be awesome loading down those 400 meg wim Windows PE File and loading them using wimboot from ipxe (that works still with PXELinux) - only I only got it working so far with tftp that makes no difference ;)

Technically, there's only one core binary for each EFI architecture
(syslinux.efi) while there's four for BIOS (ldlinux.sys, isolinux.sys,
pxelinux.0 and lpxelinux.0; gpxelinux.0/ipxelinux.0 are encapsulations
of pxelinux.0; pxelinux.0 and lpxelinux.0 are loaded the same way but
interface hardware differently).

But, to answer the question, my understanding is that it depends on
the underlying EFI system.  In VMware Workstation 10 with an EFI64 VM,
I've had luck with pointing SYSLINUX to an HTTP URL for the prefix.

Additionally, it's my understanding that EFI only provides file access
and to provide the raw network access needed (or even TCP sockets) in
order to use our own HTTP stack would require far more access (and
likely something closer to a full kernel).

--
-Gene