[syslinux] xorriso or genisoimage syntax assistance

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Feb 2 00:31:15 PST 2014

Hi,

> # Most linux distros dont have `mkisofs'

Or they have genisoimage under the name "mkisofs".
(e.g. Debian, Archlinux)

> mkisofs \
> -o output.iso     \
> -no-emul-boot     \
> -boot-info-table  \
> -boot-load-size 4 \
> -c isolinux/boot.cat     \
> -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
> ISO_root

I would add option -R or -r for Rock Ridge names and file attributes.
This will make appear the files with their original names, as in
ISO_root, when the ISO filesystem gets mounted on unix-like systems.
(Up to 255 characters of 8 bit each. E.g. UTF-8.)

Maybe add option -J for Joliet names, so that Microsoft users do not
feel discriminated. (Up to 64 UCS-2 characters of 16 bit each.)

> # Could anyone give me an example to do this same thing, using
> # `genisoimage', or `xorriso'?

The options used in your example (as well as R, -r, -J) are supported
by genisoimage and by "xorriso -as mkisofs", too.

See also
  http://wiki.osdev.org/El-Torito#Example_of_ISO_Filesystem_Production_Run_for_BIOS

genisoimage is a clone of mkisofs as of 2006, enhanced by several
new options to serve the needs of Debian CD image production.

xorriso is not a mkisofs clone, but offers a compatibility mode.

hpa wrote:
> xorriso uses a different command line, as it is a lot more capable.

As its developer i will not contradict. :))

For clarification: xorriso's native command interface differs
much from mkisofs, in order to make it suitable for dialog
operation and for serving as online slave for frontends.
Among its commands is

  -as mkisofs  ...mkisofs.options...  --

The mkisofs options include all those which are mentioned
by the ISOLINUX wiki for mkisofs. The end mark "--" may be
omitted if no other xorriso commands shall follow.

The complete -as mkisofs option list is shown by
  xorriso -as mkisofs -help
and explained in detail in
  man xorrisofs
  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/man_1_xorrisofs.html

Some of these options are add-ons which you will not find
in mkisofs. Vice versa, several mkisofs options are not supported
by xorriso -as mkisofs. Most notably: -udf, -hfs.

You may also use xorriso to put the ISO image onto optical
media on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, or Solaris:

  xorriso -as cdrecord -v blank=as_needed -eject output.iso

(Documented in man xorrecord.)

Send bug reports or enhancement wishes to me directly or to
  bug-xorriso at gnu.org

Have a nice day :)

Thomas