[syslinux] xorriso or genisoimage syntax assistance

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Feb 2 10:51:18 PST 2014

Hi,

(My apologies to Geert Stappers for the inappropriate branch
 which i grafted on his thread today. It still grows. But
 i do my share to dry it out by replying to a message in
 the correct thread. :))

Dean Graff wrote:
> But I really want to push xorriso to its limits.

Be invited.

> -partition_offset 16 \

This makes the partition table look more normal.
But it should not be a hard precondition for later adding more
partitions by help of some partition editor program.

> [without it] # Creates an error for parted. does not work.

This is a peculiarity of parted, i'd say.
The partition start at block 0 is unusual, but not really a
reason to refuse work.

What error message exactly do you get ?

> -partition_cyl_align auto \

This is the default.

> i first have to run `isohybrid output.iso'

I see that you already noticed option
  -isohybrid-mbr usr/share/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin
as pointed out by Mattias. It has the same effect as a run
of program "isohybrid". (The stuff after -eltorito-alt-boot
is for UEFI. You'd need a suitable File efi.img for that.)

The file isohdpfx.bin comes with SYSLINUX.
xorriso will copy it to the very start of the emerging ISO image
and patch in a few bytes in order to connect it to the file
/boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin

Have a nice day :)

Thomas