[syslinux] xorriso or genisoimage syntax assistance

Dean Graff graff97 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 06:50:25 PST 2014

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Dean Graff <graff97 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [ ... ] And Thomas, that 8 partition live OS sounds right up my alley, and
> I will definitely check it out.

oops.

Mattias, I got you guys confused as you both helped so much. This live
system you described sounds fascinating. I really want syslinux +
partitioned binary hard drive image + LUKS encrypted areas, for home, and
perhaps even /.
     And Thomas thanks for the xorriso help, was above and beyond the call
of duty. For now it looks like i am maybe setting freebsd stuff aside and
working on writing guides (and modules for my distro statix) for pxelinux
using linux kernels. The progress with freebsd seemed too slow and
redundant ( redundant because they have their own bootloader systems
anyway). I walked out of this understanding and loving iso9660 in a way i
never thought i would. Thanks Peter, syslinux' simplicity makes all of this
possible and educational.

p.s. I am still interested in making some freebsd booting HOWTOs, but i
maybe need more hardware. And the whole thing seems to be a disaster with
freebsd9. For now I really want to use the power of debian debootstrap, (or
perhaps pacstrap), to bootstrap a qemu/kvm based system, that would in
return serve a pxelinux based image to a second qemu/kvm isntallation. My
grandest hope is that the user has this with less than 30 or 40 lines of
code. If any of you have some articles that will help, it would be much
appreciated.

Sincerely  -dean