[syslinux] xorriso or genisoimage syntax assistance

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Feb 3 08:04:53 PST 2014

Hi,

> If any of you have time, let me know if it
> looks wrong or if I missed anything anyone suggested.

Nitpicking:

Consider whether to use -r instead of -R, i.e. whether to
make up ownership and permissions for publishing, or whether
to preserve the ownership and permission as in ISO_root.
The latter (-R) is more suitable for backup purposes, or if
you have reason to have multiple owners and/or finely
structured access permissions.

Mention that virtual machines can test the .iso file as
virtual CD-ROM, and that it can be burnt onto CD/DVD/BD
so that BIOS boots it from such media.

> # Xorrisos special .iso allows other partitions to be made:

I would prefer a statement that -partition_offset 16
creates a partition table which parted is willing to edit.

Indeed, the emerging .iso is quite special:
  http://libburnia-project.org/wiki/PartitionOffset
But the refusal of parted with less special images is probably
not to expect from all other partition editors.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas