[syslinux] xorriso or genisoimage syntax assistance

Dean Graff graff97 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 12:17:41 PST 2014

Mattias, thank you, I am sifting through this wealth of a distribution you
have created. And thank you for the attached articles on PXE booting.

This site "http://libburnia-project.org/wiki/PartitionOffset" helped me
understand things more clearly. thanks Thomas. Just to clear things up so I
am not presenting `xorriso' or `syslinux' incorrectly. Here it goes:

# Use `xorriso' with `isolinux' to make a "binary-hybrid.iso".

# Create a directory containing syslinux libraries.
rsync -a /usr/lib/syslinux ISO_root

# Create the configuration file "isolinux.cfg".
cat > ISO_root/syslinux/isolinux.cfg <<EOF
UI menu.c32
LABEL isolinuxtests
EOF

# Xorriso uses the library `libisofs', and can produce iso9660
# which have a rather conventional partition table if copied
# onto a USB.

# The option "-partition_offset 16" in `xorrisofs' helps
# facilitate a peculiarity in GNU `parted' and is not required.
xorrisofs -r -J    \
-o output.iso            \
-no-emul-boot            \
-boot-info-table         \
-boot-load-size 4        \
-c syslinux/boot.cat     \
-b syslinux/isolinux.bin \
-partition_offset 16     \
-isohybrid-mbr ISO_root/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin \
ISO_root

# Put the .iso on a USB so it can be tested.
dd if=output.iso of=/dev/sdX

# Test boot the USB.
kvm /dev/sdX

# Make other partitions on the USB. (optional)
parted /dev/sdX mkpart primary 50%  75% -m -s
parted /dev/sdX mkpart primary 75% 100% -m -s

I sincerely thank all you for the technical support here, -dean