[syslinux] isohybrid --mac doesn't find the mac efi image

Fernando Reyes email at missionaccomplish.com
Mon Feb 10 15:09:25 PST 2014

On 02/10/14 07:41, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> email at missionaccomplish.com wrote:
>> We been trying to boot the image in vbox using efi emulation but it
>> complains about kernel not supporting handover.
> If it complains about a kernel then it should be past El Torito
> or GPT. The job of xorriso is to point BIOS and EFI to their
> boot images. Everything else is in the scope of the boot images
> resp. the operating system that shall finally come up.
>

>> P.S the latest fedora ISO seems to boot fine in vbox perhaps you
>> might want to look at their image. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
> You could try to re-pack it by a xorriso command like yours.
> Use
>
>   xorriso -indev ...imagefile...iso -toc
>
> to learn about the "Boot image" files and the "Volume id",
> which you will have to use in the xorriso run.
> E.g. with an old Fedora-LiveCD.iso this would be
>
>   Drive current: -indev 'Fedora-LiveCD.iso'
>   Volume id    : 'Fedora-LiveCD'
>   Boot record  : El Torito , ISOLINUX isohybrid MBR pointing to boot image
>   Boot image   : '/isolinux/isolinux.bin' , boot_info_table=on
>   Boot image   : '/isolinux/efiboot.img' , platform_id=0xEF
>   Boot image   : '/isolinux/macboot.img' , platform_id=0xEF
>
> Extract the MBR file for -isohybrid-mbr by
>
>   dd if=Fedora-LiveCD.iso bs=512 count=1 of=/tmp/extracted.mbr
>
> and use a path to it as parameter of -isohybrid-mbr.
> Use the mounted original ISO as input directory.
> E.g.:
>
>   mount -o loop Fedora-LiveCD.iso /mnt/fedora_iso
>
>   xorriso -as mkisofs -J -R -l -V 'Fedora-LiveCD' \
>   -o ../image.iso \
>   -isohybrid-mbr /tmp/extracted.mbr \
>   -c isolinux/boot.cat \
>   -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>      -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
>   -eltorito-alt-boot \
>   -e isolinux/efiboot.img \
>      -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus \
>   -eltorito-alt-boot \
>   -e isolinux/macboot.img \
>      -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus \
>   /mnt/fedora_iso
>
> If this works as good or bad as the original, then xorriso does
> its job as expectable. If the repacked image fails, tell me the
> URL of the original which you used.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Greetings Thomas,

        Hope you had a good weekend! here is the update on my UEFI
venture. It seems that omitting the -isohybrid-mbr,-isohybrid-gpt-basdat
& -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus from both efiboot.img and macboot.img and just
allowing isohybrid set all that works well. I have created two images
which include and exclude these parameters and below is the output data.

Image created without the use of /usr/bin/isohybrid:

# xorriso -indev .uefi-testing.iso -toc
xorriso 1.3.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

xorriso : NOTE : Loading ISO image tree from LBA 0
xorriso : UPDATE : 36 nodes read in 1 seconds
xorriso : NOTE : Detected El-Torito boot information which currently is
set to be discarded
Drive current: -indev 'uefi-testing.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is written , is appendable
Boot record  : El Torito , ISOLINUX isohybrid MBR pointing to boot image
Media summary: 1 session, 20992 data blocks, 41.0m data, 33.9g free
Volume id    : 'EUFI-TESTING'
Drive current: -indev 'uefi-testing.iso'
Drive type   : vendor 'YOYODYNE' product 'WARP DRIVE' revision 'FX01'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is written , is appendable
Media blocks : 20992 readable , 17767882 writable , 17788874 overall
Boot record  : El Torito , ISOLINUX isohybrid MBR pointing to boot image
Boot catalog : '/isolinux/boot.cat'
Boot image   : '/isolinux/isolinux.bin' , boot_info_table=on
Boot image   : '/boot/efiboot.img' , platform_id=0xEF
Boot image   : '/boot/macboot.img' , platform_id=0xEF
TOC layout   : Idx ,  sbsector ,       Size , Volume Id
ISO session  :   1 ,         0 ,     20992s , EUFI-TESTING
Media summary: 1 session, 20992 data blocks, 41.0m data, 33.9g free
Media nwa    : 20992s

# gdisk -l uefi-testing.iso
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?
 1 - MBR
 2 - GPT
 3 - Create blank GPT

Your answer: 1
Entering GPTPart::SetName(const UnicodeString...)
Entering GPTPart::SetName(const UnicodeString...)
Disk uefi-testing.iso: 83968 sectors, 41.0 MiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 11EA0059-DA17-4E30-8F64-5FD247730C9B
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 83934
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 33517 sectors (16.4 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   2           42552           52615   4.9 MiB     EF00  EFI System
   3            2232           42551   19.7 MiB    EF00  EFI System

# gdisk -l uefi-testing.iso
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?
 1 - MBR
 2 - GPT
 3 - Create blank GPT

Your answer: 2
Using GPT and creating fresh protective MBR.
Warning! Main partition table overlaps the first partition by 64 blocks!
You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.
Disk uefi-testing.iso: 83968 sectors, 41.0 MiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 133588D1-CEF0-4861-8539-EC28C5D15E07
Partition table holds up to 192 entries
First usable sector is 64, last usable sector is 83918
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 3 sectors (1.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   2            2232           42551   19.7 MiB    0700  ISOHybrid2
   3           42552           52615   4.9 MiB     0700  ISOHybrid1

A url to the first 64k of the image is located at
http://77.110.8.68/64kb.img

Now for the image that ommitted the -isohybrid-mbr,-isohybrid-gpt-basdat
& -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus options and used /usr/bin/isohybrid to produce
the hybrid image.

 # xorriso -indev uefi-testing.iso -toc
xorriso 1.3.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

xorriso : NOTE : Loading ISO image tree from LBA 0
xorriso : UPDATE : 36 nodes read in 1 seconds
xorriso : NOTE : Detected El-Torito boot information which currently is
set to be discarded
Drive current: -indev 'uefi-testing.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is written , is appendable
Boot record  : El Torito , ISOLINUX isohybrid MBR pointing to boot image
Media summary: 1 session, 20644 data blocks, 40.3m data, 33.9g free
Volume id    : 'EUFI-TESTING'
Drive current: -indev 'uefi-testing.iso'
Drive type   : vendor 'YOYODYNE' product 'WARP DRIVE' revision 'FX01'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is written , is appendable
Media blocks : 20672 readable , 17767864 writable , 17788536 overall
Boot record  : El Torito , ISOLINUX isohybrid MBR pointing to boot image
Boot catalog : '/isolinux/boot.cat'
Boot image   : '/isolinux/isolinux.bin' , boot_info_table=on
Boot image   : '/boot/efiboot.img' , platform_id=0xEF
Boot image   : '/boot/macboot.img' , platform_id=0xEF
TOC layout   : Idx ,  sbsector ,       Size , Volume Id
ISO session  :   1 ,         0 ,     20644s , EUFI-TESTING
Media summary: 1 session, 20644 data blocks, 40.3m data, 33.9g free
Media nwa    : 20672s

# gdisk -l uefi-testing.iso
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?
 1 - MBR
 2 - GPT
 3 - Create blank GPT

Your answer: 1
Entering GPTPart::SetName(const UnicodeString...)
Disk uefi-testing.iso: 83968 sectors, 41.0 MiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 46D66056-FE29-436E-A134-526503F2692C
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 83934
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 73837 sectors (36.1 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   2           42552           52615   4.9 MiB     EF00  EFI System

# gdisk -l uefi-testing.iso
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
  MBR: MBR only
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?
 1 - MBR
 2 - GPT
 3 - Create blank GPT

Your answer: 2
Using GPT and creating fresh protective MBR.
Warning! Main partition table overlaps the first partition by 48 blocks!
You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.
Disk uefi-testing.iso: 83968 sectors, 41.0 MiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 409938D0-D109-42D3-8392-5D59B35D53A1
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 48, last usable sector is 83934
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 1358 sectors (679.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   2           42552           52615   4.9 MiB     0700  åä¡æ¹æ¥²dçæ±°eçæ±°
   3            2232           42551   19.7 MiB    AF00  åä¡æ¹æ¥²dçæ±°eçæ±°

Notice we don't have an APM table in both images and it's still
complaining about the overlap from main partition.

Here we go again with that 8bit salad which wasn't an issue with the
previous image. The 64kb link to this image is at
http://77.110.8.68/64kb-1.img

So far both images will boot in EFI mode using vbox but I yet to test
with usb booting or optical media. I will have some of those test
results on my next email along with the hardware used to boot each image.

F.Y.I mjg uses a modified mkisofs not genisoimage, this can be seen at
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/pungi.git/tree/src/pypungi/__init__.py#n1472

Anyways, I hope this data helps with getting to the bottom of things, I
will be around if you need further data and if you want to test the
actual images let me know.

--
Thank you,
Fernando Reyes