[syslinux] showing informations in menu

Alexandre Blanchette blanalex at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 11:12:05 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:50 AM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:

> Alexandre Blanchette <blanalex at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to show some bits of information in the menu, like
> > Syslinux version, MAC address and IP address? When the menu is loaded
> > at startup, this information is quickly erased and is not easily
> > readable.
>
> I suppose you use menu.c32.  Exit the menu with ESC then press Ctrl-V
> and Ctrl-N.  From syslinux.doc:
>
>    ++++ COMMAND LINE KEYSTROKES ++++
>
> The command line prompt supports the following keystrokes:
>
> <Enter>         boot specified command line
> <BackSpace>     erase one character
> <Ctrl-U>        erase the whole line
> <Ctrl-V>        display the current Syslinux version
> <Ctrl-W>        erase one word
> <Ctrl-X>        force text mode
> <Tab>           list matching labels
> <F1>..<F12>     help screens (if configured)
> <Ctrl-F><digit> equivalent to F1..F10
> <Ctrl-C>        interrupt boot in progress
> <Esc>           interrupt boot in progress
> <Ctrl-N>        display network information (PXELINUX only)
> --
> Feri.

Thanks for the tip. However, Ctrl-N does not show network information.

I've found the following undocumented keystrokes in pxelinux.0 (I don't
know about the other variants of SYSLINUX):
Ctrl-R      Prompt changes to "(reverse-i-search)'': "
Ctrl-I      Displays available labels
Ctrl-A      Move the cursor at the beginning of the line
Ctrl-D      Erases one character after cursor
Ctrl-F      Move the cursor at the end of the line
Ctrl-H      <Backspace> equivalent
Ctrl-J      <Enter> equivalent
Ctrl-K      Erases text from the cursor up to the end of the line
Ctrl-L      Clear screen
Ctrl-N      Execute last command
Ctrl-M      <Enter> equivalent

Syslinux.doc and the wiki should be updated, but I'd like Ctrl-N to be
implemented as documented (display network information)