[syslinux] showing informations in menu

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 22 12:14:45 PST 2014

> Correction:
> Ctrl-J      Bypasses labels and tries to load file
>
> So at the prompt if one inputs foo<Ctrl-J>, pxelinux looks for a file in
> the following order:
> foo.c32
> foo.img
> foo.bss
> foo.bin
> foo.bs
> foo.0
> foo
>

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Alexandre Blanchette <blanalex at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> I suppose you use menu.c32.  Exit the menu with ESC then press Ctrl-V
> >> and Ctrl-N.  From syslinux.doc:
> >>
> >>    ++++ COMMAND LINE KEYSTROKES ++++
> >>
> >> The command line prompt supports the following keystrokes:
> >>
> >> <Enter>         boot specified command line
> >> <BackSpace>     erase one character
> >> <Ctrl-U>        erase the whole line
> >> <Ctrl-V>        display the current Syslinux version
> >> <Ctrl-W>        erase one word
> >> <Ctrl-X>        force text mode
> >> <Tab>           list matching labels
> >> <F1>..<F12>     help screens (if configured)
> >> <Ctrl-F><digit> equivalent to F1..F10
> >> <Ctrl-C>        interrupt boot in progress
> >> <Esc>           interrupt boot in progress
> >> <Ctrl-N>        display network information (PXELINUX only)
> >> --
> >> Feri.
> >>

> > Thanks for the tip. However, Ctrl-N does not show network information.
> >
> > I've found the following undocumented keystrokes in pxelinux.0 (I don't
> > know about the other variants of SYSLINUX):
> > Ctrl-R      Prompt changes to "(reverse-i-search)'': "
> > Ctrl-I      Displays available labels
> > Ctrl-A      Move the cursor at the beginning of the line
> > Ctrl-D      Erases one character after cursor
> > Ctrl-F      Move the cursor at the end of the line
> > Ctrl-H      <Backspace> equivalent
> > Ctrl-J      <Enter> equivalent
> > Ctrl-K      Erases text from the cursor up to the end of the line
> > Ctrl-L      Clear screen
> > Ctrl-N      Execute last command
> > Ctrl-M      <Enter> equivalent
> >
> > Syslinux.doc and the wiki should be updated, but I'd like Ctrl-N to be
> > implemented as documented (display network information)

The CTRL+N keys combination for network information is valid from
Syslinux 3.50 up to 4.xx. It was changed since Syslinux 5.xx,
together with additional new key combinations, for example to have
access to the cli commands' history.

During the last discussions about this matter (May 2013 in this
Syslinux mailing list), there was an agreement (hpa and Matt Fleming)
that the new behavior will be kept and that CTRL+V should show both,
the Syslinux version and the network information. AFAIK, the network
information addition to CTRL+V is not yet implemented.

Regarding the documentation of the new keys combinations, I think its
adequate (first) place would be in "txt/syslinux-cli.txt'.

IMHO, during the last few releases the changelog ("NEWS") has been
less explicit (or less clear) regarding features that are closer to
the final user. Some repetitive questions - such as the library
modules and dependencies, the new keys combinations, or features that
are yet not supported as the user expect them - are certainly related
to these type of "closer-to-the-user" changes.

Regards,
Ady.