[syslinux] [RFC, PATCH] core/pxe: Add architecture-specific discovery request for PXE config file

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Feb 24 18:00:52 PST 2014

Ok, that makes sense.  PXELINUX had become a de facto standard and has in fact been extended with ipv6 support by agreement between me and Peter Jones, used in at least some versions of Grub.

Here is the problem I see: arch discovery is orthogonal with address-based discovery.  It creates a complex problem because we don't want to try all possible combinations.  One option is to have an extended filename string with lots of info first and assume that people who need that have a TFTP server which supports rewriting; another would be to do the arch-based ones right before default, under the assumption that if you know your client you know what matters already.

The final option is to introduce macros that can be used in an include statement, so the file fetched would be a generic config file which can include others based on all kind of parameters, making most of the discovery junk unnecessary.  It also lets the sysadmin keep the common bits common.  Personally this is the option I like the best.  iPXE has been doing this for years.

--
Sent from my mobile phone.  Please pardon brevity and lack of formatting.