[syslinux] [RFC, PATCH] core/pxe: Add architecture-specific discovery request for PXE config file

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 20:39:34 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org> wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
>>> What I'm looking to do here is establish a bit of a convention for
>>> allowing machines of multiple architectures to be perform PXE
>>> configuration in a uniform way (in this case, without requiring the DHCP
>>> server to send out different lease parameters in response to the
>>> client's DHCP architecture ID).
>>
>> How do you have multiple architectures booting from the same directory
>> at this time?  What exact string is used by network boot clients of
>> each of the three architectures?
>
> This is only in-development at this stage, so I only have this going in
> a virtual environment. I have machines of separate architectures (x86
> PC-BIOS and PowerPC OPAL) booting from the same directory of pxe
> configuration files:
>
>  /pxelinux.cfg/arch-0000
>  /pxelinux.cfg/arch-000e
>
> The arch-0000 file is being used by for the x86 machines running
> pxelinux, and arch-000e for the powerpc machines running petitboot.

No, what string is used for a file name in the TFTP request for the
boot binaries (ie pxelinux.0 bootia32.efi bootx64.efi)?  How do you
manipulate the DHCP offer to evoke this behavior (ie a BIOS machine
receiving "pxelinux.0" in the DHCP/BOOTP field "file")

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2131 Figure 1 for field file.

--
-Gene