[syslinux] Dell machine boots a Windows formatted FAT16 USB drive not a Ubuntu formatted FAT16 drive.

Mark Barton mbarton451 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 03:59:47 PST 2014

Hi All,
First post and hopefully someone can steer me in
the right direction for this problem. I did a bit
of googling and found some hints but nothing concrete.

We are using Syslinux and a FAT32 USB thumb drive
(single partition) to boot a customized Debian OS
which works very well with newer motherboards.
However we have a few older Dell machines that
simply hangs when trying to boot using the same
drive. Someone suggested that we try FAT16
filesystem which I created using Ubuntu disk
utility and as well as mkdosfs command line
utility. I reduced the partition size to 1 GB for
FAT16. Neither worked. However a colleague created
a FAT16 drive on a Windows machine and that booted
just fine on the Dell.

So my question is there some specific drive
parameters I should be selecting when creating a
FAT16 USB thumb drive that is acceptable to the
old Dell machines?

Any help is always appreciated.

Mark