[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 10 02:30:25 PST 2014

> Anyway, in the F12 boot menu there is no clear indication of what thing
> (or things) the BIOS thinks are or not present.  (What made you think
> that there would be?)

In some systems, in the BIOS F12 boot menu, when I have one internal
SATA drive and one USB flashdrive connected, I could see them *both*
under HDD, while under USB-HDD there is no device listed for the
selection of the boot device.

I would suggest, just in case, to perform a cold boot with the USB
drive already connected. At least for testing purposes.

BTW, not all USB ports behave the same. Try plugging your USB drive
to a USB port that is directly welded to the mainboard (as opposed to
those connected by an internal cable).

Regarding your BIOS version, I don't know whether "F15B" is a "beta"
release(?). Perhaps a "stable" release behaves differently(?).

> >Regarding UBCD, it sounds like some conflicting path. From your
> >description, you should see a "boot:" prompt.
>
> Yes, that does appear also.  But I have no idea what to enter there.
>
> Is there something specific I should try?  /boot/syslinux ?
>

>From the syslinux boot prompt in UBCD you could try:
/boot/syslinux/config.c32 /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg /boot/syslinux/

(Yes, it is the same basic absolute path, three times, all in one
single continue command prompt with one space character in between;
once for config.c32, once for syslinux.cfg and once without any
additional file.)

I don't know why syslinux.cfg would be correctly found in the same
USB drive when plugged in to other systems but not in this one.

> >Regarding Clonezilla Live, the latest version uses Syslinux
> >6.03-pre1, so you might be using an older release.
>
> I probably am, however at this point I have no compelling reason to
> believe that my results will be any different when/if I upgrade to a
> slightly fresher Clonezilla.   (The version I'm using was the freshest
> "stable" release available as of less than a month ago.)

Recent (testing) Clonezilla versions include changes related to
booting problems, so there are valid reasons to try the very latest
version available. At the time I am writing this email, Clonezilla
Live 2.2.1-22 is the latest available (at this moment, under
(clonezilla_live_testing). This Clonezilla Live version uses Syslinux
6.03-pre1.

> >The "ldlinux.c32"
> >file should be also part of the Syslinux 6.03-pre1 installation. If
> >you see a (hidden) file named "ldlinux.sys"...
>
> See?  I'm sorry.   I don't follow you.  Where should I be looking for
> this file you are talking about, exactly?

Probably under '/syslinux/' and/or under '/isolinux/' in the
Clonezilla Live USB.

 <snip>

> for installing on a USB flash drive, and then I just dd them to my USB
> flash drives, or do whatever the standard install instructions tell me
> to do.

Please avoid using any dd' method at this time. Also avoid any
"multiboot"-related tool or "USB-drive-writing-tool". Currently, most
of these "user-friendly" methods will fail with these particular
tools (specially with openELEC and Clonezilla).

> >As a remainder, all files under the /syslinux directory of your
> >Clonezilla USB drive should match the same version of Syslinux that
> >you installed as bootloader.
>
> My hope and belief is that the maintainer/distributor of Clonezilla has
> alread seen to it that this is the case.  Do we have any reason to suspect
> otherwise?

Yes. That's why I am suggesting to test the very latest Clonezilla
(wherever the "very latest" version would be located, under stable or
under testing).

> >I would suggest downloading the latest Clonezilla Live release
> >available and using the "manual" method to install it in your USB
> >drive. Other methods are probably going to fail (by mixing different
> >versions of Syslinux).
>
> I suppose that I can give that a try, but it seems like we are sort of
> just shooting in the dark here.

No "shooting in the dark". Please, at this time use the manual method
only, with the very latest Clonezilla Live. Not dd', not Unetbootin,
not Tuxbox, not LiLi. Please "clean up" the USB drive and then use
only the *manual* method at this time. See
http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php .

Please let us know how it goes. Feedback is needed and appreciated.

Regards,
Ady.