[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Jan 10 04:10:57 PST 2014

Hi,

Ady wrote:
> The (recent yet not latest) versions of Clonezilla that used Syslinux
> 5.xx will fail in some systems when writing the isohybrid image with
> dd to the USB drive.
> [...]
> Recent versions of UBCD use Syslinux 4.07, which will also fail in
> some systems when using dd' to write the isohybrid image to USB
> drives.

Is the reason for these failures known ?
Can it be high boot image addresses and the partly uninitialized
32 bit processor register ?

Whatever, i asked about isohybrid because this brings its own
partitioning.

The two failure messages indicate that some file access does not
work. If it is about partitions and/or file addresses, and if it
happens with isohybrids too, then we have a path for experiments.
If isohybrid does not show the problem, then we have a difference
which might help to find the problem trigger.

Maybe it is all random. More variations should tell.

To Ronald F. Guilmette:
I assume that the content of the USB drive can be read without
errors after the machine was booted by some means.
Was this already tested ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas