[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Fri Jan 10 05:01:35 PST 2014

Am 10.01.2014 13:10, schrieb Thomas Schmitt:
> Is the reason for these failures known ?
> Can it be high boot image addresses and the partly uninitialized
> 32 bit processor register ?

I've seen similar boot failures. Some older BIOSes seem to fail booting
from higher LBAs (might be the partially uninitialized register). In
this case when booting with Syslinux from FAT you have to first
install/populate the boot directory and afterwards install the big
squashfs containers. In some cases however Syslinux seems to corrupt the
FAT filesystem so that writing large files on the FS will result in
corrupted files. I will investigate later on this to find out if the
issue still exists in 6.03.

Thus one should try booting the "difficult" main board first with
Isohybrid ISOs that use a low LBA and proper path names. The official
Ubuntu image does so or recent LessLinux images
http://blog.lesslinux.org/ Use either Win32DiskImager or the linux
command dd to overwrite the thumb drive:

dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdx

BTW: There are lots of cheap USB thumb drives out there that flip bits
after a few hundred writes! So in LessLinux I implemented an integrity
check upon first boot from thumb drives. You can manually check the
written thumb drive after disconnecting and reconnecting:

md5sum /path/to/image.iso
dd if=/dev/sdx bs=2048 count=` ls -la /path/to/image.iso | awk '{print
$5 / 2048 }' ` | md5sum

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 341 30393578
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!