[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 10 06:09:54 PST 2014

> Hi,
>
> Ady wrote:
> > The (recent yet not latest) versions of Clonezilla that used Syslinux
> > 5.xx will fail in some systems when writing the isohybrid image with
> > dd to the USB drive.
> > [...]
> > Recent versions of UBCD use Syslinux 4.07, which will also fail in
> > some systems when using dd' to write the isohybrid image to USB
> > drives.
>
> Is the reason for these failures known ?
> Can it be high boot image addresses and the partly uninitialized
> 32 bit processor register ?

I'll try to clarify. My apologies if this is too detailed.

Regarding the specific case with the GA-M55Plus-S3G, we currently
don't know what's the problem (yet).

Whichever the reasons for the failures in that particular system, the
tests should not be performed with ISO images and/or methods that are
already known to have problems.

In the case of the latest UBCD, it uses Syslinux 4.07.

Syslinux versions 4.07, 5.xx (elflink branch) and 6.xx prior to
6.03-pre1 (firmware branch) include the "isolinux: Update LBA in
getlinsec loop" patch, which introduced a problem with isohybrid
images in certain systems (discussed during November 2013 in this
Syslinux mailing list).

The only official (pre)release that currently includes the required
correction is Syslinux 6.03-pre1. Some few distros that were already
using Syslinux 5.xx or 6.02 also updated the code (but not all of
them did).

In recent versions of Clonezilla (and GParted) Live, Syslinux 5.xx or
6.02 were used. During the last 12 days, Clonezilla Live updated to
Syslinux 6.03-pre1, and some additional booting issues were solved,
thus releasing some new testing images.

In addition to the specific versions of Syslinux, and whichever other
booting problems, the procedure to write the image to the USB is
particularly relevant.

Almost all the popular user-friendly tools (such as Unetbootin,
Tuxboot, YUMI, LiLi, etc.), running either under Windows or under
Linux, are yet to be compatible with Syslinux 5.xx or 6.xx.

Finally, most distros are still using older versions of Syslinux
(packages), such as 4.05 (and even older).

So,...

When we are talking about testing UBCD, we shall avoid using dd'.

When we talk about Clonezilla Live, only the very latest release is
valid for testing (because prior recent versions had some booting
problems, and because those same prior versions used Syslinux
versions that we already know to be potentially faulty).

>From the several methods to write to USB media supported by
Clonezilla, currently the only one that we could trust for testing
purposes is the 'manual' method, using the binary files that
Clonezilla Live itself provides. Using any other method, including
using a Syslinux package installed in some distro instead of using
the Syslinux version provided by Clonezilla Live itself, increases
the chances of failure (e.g., mixing one version of the bootloader
with c32 modules from a different version; lacking the required
lib*.c32 modules or ldlinux.c32).

There is still a chance that using dd' with the very latest
Clonezilla Live would result in success too, but the method that
currently provides the best chances is the "manual" method using the
binary files provided by Clonezilla Live itself.

I hope at least this long email can help others with similar issues.

Regards,
Ady.