[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 10 23:42:03 PST 2014

> 	SYSLINUX 6.03 CHS 6.03-pre1 ...
>
> 	Failed to load ldlinux.c32
> 	Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.

First, let me clarify that all the scripts and procedures in the
Clonezilla site are not related to this official Syslinux mailing
list or to The Syslinux Project. They are done by the Clonezilla
team.

Now that I know you are working under Windows, let me suggest the
following procedure:

1_ Boot up Windows, download RUFUS, plug in your USB drive, run RUFUS
and format your USB drive with MBR and a *FAT32* filesystem.
Warning: Be very careful to select the *correct* drive in RUFUS!

BTW, which type of USB drive we are talking about? And which
capacity?

2_ Close RUFUS, "safely" disconnect you USB drive, wait 10 seconds,
connect your USB drive again.

3_ Extract somewhere the content of the downloaded Clonezilla (the
ISO image or the zip archive, whichever you downloaded).

4_ Copy the extracted content into your USB drive (let's call it "d:"
for now, but you should use whichever drive letter corresponds to it
in your system).

So now you should see, among additional files and directories:
d:\syslinux\syslinux.cfg
d:\utils\win32\syslinux64.exe

(there are more directories and files to be copied; I am just showing
2 examples)

5_ Close any other programs that could be having access to your
drives (including Windows Explorer, and any non-escential program).

6_ In your Windows Start Menu, look for "Command prompt" (I don't
remember the exact location; something like "all programs ->
accessories -> command prompt" or similar). Instead of launching it
by a simple click, right-click on the "command prompt" icon -> "Run
as Administrator".

7_ In Windows cmd prompt that has been opened by the previos step,
and assuming your USB drive is "d:" (change the drive letter
accordingly in each of the following steps), type in:
d:
cd d:\utils\win32\
syslinux64.exe --directory /syslinux/ --install d:

Once the process finishes, you should see the prompt again. Type:
exit

and pressing [enter] the cmd prompt window should close.

8_ "Safely" disconnect your USB drive, shut down the system,
disconnect your other drives, reconnect your USB drive, and boot up.

Please let us know the result.

Regards,
Ady.