[syslinux] USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Sat Jan 11 09:43:37 PST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 06:31 -0500, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
> <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, regardless of whether I perform Step #4 (i.e. running
> > the "makeboot.bat" script) while logged in as a user with Admin privs,
>
> >         Accessing physical drive: Access is denied.
> >         Did not successfully update the MBR; continuing...
>
> On Vista and newer, most administrative actions from the GUI
> (including cmd/batch files, etc) requires privilege elevation and
> members of .\Administrators may elevate their privileges either
> implicitly via a UAC prompt or explicitly (such as right-clicking a
> program shortcut and using "Run as Administrator").

Except that the implicit method is only available when the program
needing the privileges goes out of its way to request the additional
privilege.  It seems unlikely that the batch file in question does that;
in fact, I'm not sure it even can.

What that means is that in order to update the MBR, you'll need to run
the whole batch file with admin privileges.  It's not sufficient to be
logged in as an administrative user; you must also specifically ask for
the program (or your command window) to run with admin access, using the
"Run as administrator" option.  The following Microsoft TechNet topic
describes how to get a command window running as administrator:

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>